What’s included in the Curious Trails Cave Creatures Unit Study:
LESSON ONE: CAVE HABITATS
• Explore the three zones within a cave habitat then create a 3-D model for your nature table.
• Learn where food comes from within a cave ecosystem.
• Create a cave food chain.
• Tell the story of how energy is transferred within a cave food web with our writer’s workshop prompt.
LESSON TWO: CAVE CREATURES
• Explore the three categories of animals that live in caves.
• Learn how bats are a keystone species within cave habitats.
• Debate the benefits and disadvantages of guano mining.
• Create a bat life cycle craft and label their anatomy.
• Share what you’ve learned about the benefits of bats with your Bat Mobile presentation.
LESSON THREE: CAVE ADAPTATIONS
• Meet the Olm, the first troglobite to be discovered!
• Learn how troglobites have adapted to living in their low-food environment and total darkness.
• Explore the difference between structural, physiological, and behavioral adaptations in our activities.
• Design your own cave creature!
LESSON FOUR: CAVE CONSERVATION
• Explore why caves matter in our world.
• Discuss the threats caves face from habitat loss, pollution of our waterways, and climate change.
• Learn how to be a responsible spelunker with our poster presentation.
• Create a ‘spelunking kit’ and guide to teach others how to explore caves safely.
Come together for our unit celebration to study nature poetry while enjoying delicious Bat Bites!
Check out the product listing on ETSY to purchase!