What’s included in the Curious Trails Animal Builders Unit Study:
LESSON ONE: BIRD NESTS
• Discover how 8 types of bird nests are constructed.
• Compare and contrast nest designs while exploring their advantages and disadvantages.
• Build your own bird nest using natural materials.
• Extend your learning by researching how plastic pollution affects bird nesting behaviors.
LESSON TWO: TERMITE MOUNDS
• Discover the three castes of termites and their amazing life underground.
• Go inside a termite mound to visit the royal chambers, nurseries, and fungal gardens, then create a 3-D model for your nature table.
• Learn how termites engineer their mounds as giant ventilation and air conditioning units!
• Conduct a hands-on demonstration to see how temperature changes power the air circulation through termite nests.
LESSON THREE: PRAIRIE DOG TOWNS
• Tour a prairie dog town and meet its inhabitants.
• Learn how prairie dogs use Bernoulli’s Principle to passively ventilate their home.
• Design your own prairie dog burrow as we learn the function of each room.
• Diagram a prairie town ecosystem and learn why prairie dogs are considered a keystone species in their grassland habitat.
LESSON FOUR: BEAVER DAMS
• Discover how beavers design and build their dams and lodges.
• Explore the adaptations that make beavers nature’s master builders.
• Complete our beaver dam STEM challenge.
• Test how dams filter and clean our water systems.
Discover nature poetry while enjoying delicious bird nest cupcakes.
Important: This is a PDF download. No physical product will be mailed to you. Print at home or at your favorite printing store. Any books or other materials in the product photos are for staging purposes only and are not included with your purchase.
Check out the product listing on ETSY to purchase!