What’s included in the Curious Trails Extreme Weather Unit Study:
WEEK ONE: THUNDERSTORMS
•Learn how thunderstorms form and their lifecycle.
•Discover what makes lightning and thunder.
•Review our thunderstorm safety tips.
•Conduct an experiment to make ‘lightning’.
•Grow your own ‘thunder cloud’.
•Tract humidity changes with a pinecone weather station!
•Extend your learning to explore Ben Franklin’s lightning experiments and inventions.
WEEK TWO: TORNADOES
• Learn how tornadoes are born from supercell thunderstorms.
• Discover how tornadoes are measured with the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
• Review our tornado safety tips.
• Narrate what it would be like to be ‘inside a tornado’!
• Make a model of a tornado vortex using water.
• Practice knowing the signs of a tornado with our bingo game.
• Extend your learning to compare tornadoes with hurricanes.
WEEK THREE: BLIZZARDS
• Discover the three ingredients that come together to make a blizzard.
• Study the Snow Cycle with our poster and worksheets, and learn why snowflakes come in different shapes and sizes.
• Review our winter storm safety tips.
• Conduct an experiment to see what happens when warm and cold fronts collide.
• Practice putting together your own Winter Storm Safety Kit.
WEEK FOUR: HEAT WAVES
• Learn what causes heat waves, the effects of a heat dome, and urban heat islands.
• Discover how animals adapt to the heat.
• Review our heat wave safety tips.
• Monitor the weather with a DIY thermometer.
• Create a ‘Staying Cool’ sun art poster to celebrate what we’ve learned.
• Extend your learning by taking these steps to help wildlife stay cool in the sun.
Study poetry & copywork while enjoying your Thundercloud Meringue Cookies together.
Important: This is a PDF download. No physical product will be mailed to you. Print at home or at your favorite printing store. Any books or other materials in the product photos are for staging purposes only and are not included with your purchase.
Check out the product listing on ETSY to purchase!