What’s included in the Curious Trails Dairy Farms Unit Study:
LESSON ONE: MEET THE DAIRY COWS
• Learn how grass turns into milk!
• Explore the digestive system of ruminants. Color and label a diagram.
• Be introduced to popular dairy cow breeds then create a mixed-media art piece to celebrate your favorite.
• Conduct a rumen fermentation experiment to explore how cows produce methane and carbon dioxide.
• Extend your learning by researching the role of cow burps and climate change!
LESSON TWO: LIFE ON THE FARM
• Learn about the different structures inside dairy barns then consider what you’ve discovered and design your own!
• Explore milking technologies.
• Follow a day in the life of a dairy cow.
• Try ‘milking a cow’ in our at-home demonstration.
LESSON THREE: FROM FARM TO MARKET
• Explore how milk is transported to and processed at the dairy processing plant. We’ll learn about pasteurization, centrifugal separation, and homogenization.
• Observe centrifugal force at work in our spinning art tutorial!
• Review the history of milk packaging and create a timeline. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
LESSON FOUR: ON YOUR PLATE
• Explore the benefits of dairy milk and learn how to read a nutritional label.
• Discover the process for making cheese and yogurt, then make your own cheese at home!
• Host a cheese tasting to find your favorite variety.
• Discover the science of milk fat in the classic magic milk experiment.
• Compare the nutritional value of dairy and non-dairy kinds of milk.
• Discover nature poetry while enjoying a ‘green grass’ milkshake or smoothie.
Important: This is a PDF download. No physical product will be mailed to you. Print at home or at your favorite printing store. Any books or other materials in the product photos are for staging purposes only and are not included with your purchase.
Check out the product listing on ETSY to purchase!